Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Help

 

Thehelpbookcover.jpg

I recently finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett (I know, I know, I'm behind everyone else who read this months ago) and I loved it. Before I started it, my mother-in-law explained it better than I ever could when she warned me that this book was a very stressful read. It really was! It was by no means a suspense novel in the traditional way you think of suspense, but I was on the edge of my seat throughout the entire thing, and found myself worried for the characters. I was always certain something terrible was going to happen. For this reason, it took me awhile to get through (as most books do, given I am a parent of a toddler and puppy) even though I really enjoyed it.

I won't spoil it for you, but if you haven't read this book, you really should. It has been compared to To Kill A Mockingbird, which, embarrassingly I haven't read even with a son named Atticus (I've seen the movie though) and I can see why, given the topic of race in Mississippi in the 60s. This book makes you think about all that has changed since then. Its amazing to me, a girl from Maine, to think that this was going on when my mom was a baby (sorry to date you, Mom!). As someone who sees everyone as the same, I can't imagine thinking the way Hilly does in this book. I love the bravery of Skeeter, and the Help in the book and it truly made me appreciate the way things have changed for the good.

Post a Comment

© Chronicles of a Knaptime Knitter. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.
01 09 10