Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Gluten-Free Beers: A love story

I bet you remember the day you realized that being gluten-free meant you were also beer-free.  I bet you were crushed (I know I was).  To never have another Sam Summer was a very upsetting notion for me.  For a while, I just gave up on beer all together, not wanting to take the time (or spend the money) to get to know the gluten-free versions.  I've moved away from that, and have tried a handful of them.  As a whole, they really aren't bad, just different.  These are the few I've tried (finding different gluten-free beers isn't an easy thing to do), but if you want information on more you can check out this website.

The most mainstream of the gluten-free beers is Redbridge, made by Budweiser.  It's your run of the mill beer and at $7.99-$8.99 for a 6 pack, its not too pricey.  I like it, just don't let it get warm (or its terrible).  Redbridge is my go-to beer, if I'm ever in the mood for it, and many restaurants have it too since they all have Budwiser, so be sure and ask for it by name next time you're out to dinner.  Even if they don't have a gluten-free menu, they may have Redbridge. 



I've tried New Grist a few times and I like it, but not enough to justify the $12.99 a 6 pack costs.  I don't taste a huge difference between it and Redbridge. 

If you like IPAs, you may want to try a new one I just discovered, New Planet pale ale and I enjoyed it.  It was pretty hoppy, and though I've never had a real IPA, my husband said it tasted very similar.  Bad news: its $10.50 for a 4 pack.  Good news: they have different varieties, so you're sure to find one you like.



Of the ones I've tried, the best I've had is Bard's Tale Dragon's Gold.  I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I think it was about $12 for a 6 pack, and well worth it.  It tasted like beer, not some knock off version of.  If you ever see it in a store, pick some up.  You'll be happy you did.
GlutenFree25.jpg

Post a Comment

© Chronicles of a Knaptime Knitter. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.
01 09 10