Friday, July 6, 2012

Gluten-Free Bread Recipe

I've been gluten-free since 2007 and the first thing I noticed was how expensive it is.  It's amazing how much omitting wheat can add to your grocery bill.  In an effort to save money, a bread machine is absolutely necessary to a gluten-free lifestyle.  With the average, not very good loaf of gluten-free bread costing about $6.00, you can really save a lot, and get a much better quality product by taking the time to make your own. 

I searched high and low for a recipe that I liked best, and many where dry and just not good.  After many attempts, this is the one I liked best:

What you'll need:
1 tbsp yeast (a small packet of it)
1 tbsp sugar
1.5 cup warm water
2.5 cups Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Flour (Please note:  this is the brand I like best, since for $3.99 you can get a bag of it rather than buying all the different kinds and making your own all purpose mix)
2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
3 eggs
2 tbsp oil (any works, but I like corn oil best)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar

How to make it:
In a small bowl, combine the yeast and sugar and slowly stir in warm water.  Set aside.  In another bowl, combine eggs, oil and vinegar and whisk until frothy.   In a third bowl, combine the flour, xanthan gum and salt, and mix.

Now, each bread machine is likely to be different, and maybe you have a gluten-free setting, but I don't.  I use the settings:

2-French (if you don't have this, use basic, white, or sandwich setting)
Medium for color (mine gives the option of light, medium and dark loaf)
Smaller loaf (I don't like making a bigger one, because the slices come out way to big)


Add ingredients, with the wet in first, close the top and press start! 

Let the machine do the rest of the work.  It takes about 3.5 hours to cook, but its worth the wait, and you don't have to do anything.  The result is this yummy bread, that you wouldn't even know was gluten-free.  My husband sneaks it onto his sandwiches and he is not gluten-free.  It's very yummy, even it isn't very pretty!

*UPDATE:  Not moments after my first slice of this amazing bread, did my puppy get to it, taking a few bites and leaving me to find the carcass of my loaf right there on the kitchen floor.  Tears were nearly shed.  Items (bread) were thrown (in the garbage).  Dog was scolded.


Post a Comment

© Chronicles of a Knaptime Knitter. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.
01 09 10