Wednesday, July 25, 2012

5 Money Saving Tips of the Week-Spa Edition

This summer has been way to humid, and frankly, I haven't done much as far as "pampering" (or really, normal maintenance) because I'm just too hot.  It's also really tough on the wallet to have a spa day (what with all your money going to the AC fund).  With that said, this week's Money Saving Tips are all about pampering YOU, without spending a ton of money.  There's nothing worse than spending over your budget on beauty products only to find they are not worth it, wrong color, or (if you're like me) the guilt you feel over making said purchase of an unnecessary item.  Well, I've come up with (and tested for you) the top 5 beauty products, on a budget.

1. Wet n' Wild Megalast Salon Nail Color ($1.99)
Megalast Salon Nail Color, I Need a Refresh-MintI've tried my fair share of nail polishes, and never have I found one that I like as much as this one.  The brush is rounded, something I think is genius in terms of nail polish application, and it really does give your self-painted nails a salon look.  I've never been good at painting my nails, so for years I just didn't and every now and again I'd splurge and get a manicure.  Those days are over, because for a mere $1.99 I can get this polish in every color!  Goes on great, looks professional, doesn't chip right away and it's cheap.  I've only found it at Hannaford, and I've been spoiling myself by picking up a new color when I'm grocery shopping.  Walgreens claims to have it, also.  The only down side: there are only a few colors available.  Let's hope that changes soon.

2. Aussie 3 Minute Miracle ($2.99)
aussie - 3 minute miracle Deeep condtioning for damaged dosA few months back I was searching for a deep conditioning treatment to use every few days and found them all to be far out of my budget.  Years ago I used the nice one Biolage puts out, but it's not gluten-free and I don't want to risk accidental swallowing some of it.  I picked up the Aussie 3 Minute Miracle deep conditioner because I've used and liked their products in the past and it wasn't a big loss if I didn't like it.  I tried it, and loved it!  Not only does it have a wonderful scent to it, but it works really well, leaving my hair feeling soft and performed as well as the Biolage one I used years ago.  It costs about $2.99 and all major stores carry it.  Recently Target had a 2/$5 deal, so I stocked up. 

3. Softsoap Coconut Scrub Bodywash ($2.99)
If you're looking for a great summer exfoliating body scrub, I suggest the Softsoap Coconut Scrub Bodywash.  It smells delicious and leaves your skin feeling so soft!  The price varies a little depending on where you get it, but it's usually around $2.99.  I usually just use what's on sale, but when I want an extra something in the body wash, this is the one I go to.

4. St. Ives Coconut Milk & Orchid Extract Body Lotion ($3.99)
I know, I know, enough of the coconut, but come on!  It's summer after all.  The summer months tend to dry out my skin big time, between the sun and AC, so I knew I needed a good, strong body lotion.  Problem is, most of them are really expensive and I didn't want to spend $8 on it.  When I'm not sure what brand to try, I usually opt for St. Ives, the budget friendly brand.  I was very surprised at how much I liked this lotion.  It's nice and thick, but not greasy and soaks right into your skin, leaving it so soft.  Use this after the coconut body scrub and you'll feel like you just had a a spa treatment.  I can't remember the exact cost but I believe it was about $3.99.  It worked so well, I even got the neutral scented one for my husband, and he liked it too. 

5. Clinique Redness Solutions Foundation with SPF 15 ($25.00)
I know what you're thinking: how is a $25 foundation on the Money Saving Tips list?  Hear me out.  I first tried this foundation in November when I was getting married and wanted a long lasting, great coverage foundation on the big day.  Because it was for the wedding, I splurged.  I've used it every single day since then, and will never use another kind.  Yes, expensive, but I just ran out, this week, in July.  I got nearly 8 months of use out of it because it doesn't take much to work it's magic.  I would bet that every woman has at one point or another purchased foundation in the price range of $10-16 only to discover she hated it.  I've done this a million times.  What a money waster!  So the way I see it, you can buy the one, slightly more expensive brand, you know is going to work, instead of a bunch of cheaper ones that are sub-par.  I spent years looking for the perfect foundation, and at last, I've found it.  The best part is, before purchasing, I went to the cosmetic counter and asked what color I should use and they gave me a sample.  I was able to try it out for a couple days before making my decision.  Best purchase, ever. 

Post a Comment

© Chronicles of a Knaptime Knitter. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.
01 09 10