Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Turkey Pumpkin Chili Recipe

Hello, Friends! I apologize for my absence this past week or so.  Things have been very busy around here, as I'm sure you can relate to.  As we come into Fall, my favorite season of all, we are preparing for my husband to leave for Basic Training with the Army National Guard, and I've been cooking up a storm to spoil him with delicious meals before he ships out.  One of them, which I have had many recipe requests for, is this turkey pumpkin chili.  It's gluten free, perfect for fall, and oh-so-yummy.  This meal also freezes well, so you can either make it to freeze, or save any leftovers for a quick meal you can throw in the crock pot, or heat up stove top.

*I altered this recipe from a bunch of others I found, to make it the way I like it. Add what you like!


Here's what you'll need:
1 package of ground turkey (I usually use a little over a pound)
1/2 tsp olive oil (Saratoga Olive Oil is the absolute BEST)
1 small onion (chopped)
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
2 bay leaves
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp  Adobe seasoning
1 can cannellini beans
14.5 oz can Italian style crushed tomatoes, or a can of regular diced tomatoes
15 oz can pumpkin (not pie mix, just plain pumpkin)
2 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
cheese to top it with
sour cream or Greek yogurt to top it with

Here's what to do:
Brown the turkey, and then add all the seasonings.  Let them all cook with the turkey for a minute or so.  Add the olive oil, onion, and garlic and let cook for a few minutes until the onions start to get soft.  Add the beans, tomatoes, and pumpkin and stir well.  Add the chicken broth.  Cook on medium for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, and then reduce heat to low, cover and let it simmer like this for about 45 minutes.  When done, add it to your favorite chili bowl, top with cheese and sour cream or Greek yogurt and enjoy!

Post a Comment

© Chronicles of a Knaptime Knitter. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.
01 09 10