Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Washington County Fair 2013



It's here! The Washington County Fair opened last night and you don't want to miss all the fun.  We went last night for the opening, which began at 5pm.  The fair, which features lots of live animals, tractors, tons of food, rides, games and so much more, runs all week. 
 *yes, my son is a Ninja.  He was a racecar driver earlier in the day.  An Army guy the day before that.


Here's some general information about admission and pricing (from their website):

Gates Open at:

5 PM Monday
9 AM Tuesday - Sunday

Building Hours:

Tuesday - Saturday: 10:00 am to 10:00 pm
Sunday 10:00 am to 9:00 pm
Rain or Shine

Carnival hours:
Mon.: 5:00 pm to 11:00 pm | Tues. - Sat.: Noon to 11:00 pm
Sun.: Noon to 9:00 pm (Weather permitting for your safety)

Sorry! NO pets allowed at the Fair


Admission:

General Admission...........$10.00
(Purchase before Aug. 1….$9.00)
(does not include carnival rides)
Under age 14....................FREE
Parking............................FREE
All Week Ticket ...............$30.00
(Purchase before Aug. 1….$27.00)
Senior Citizen Day....$5.00
(62 or older) Wednesday ONLY

They do offer a military discount for active military so bring your id!

Now, one thing I wish I had done before heading to the fair with an excited almost three year old, was to check out the tickets for the rides and see if there were any discounts.  Let me tell you, I would have saved a bundle because the rides were very expensive.

This boat ride, for example, cost three tickets and tickets were $1 a pop.  The Ferris wheel took five tickets per person, so for my husband to take our son on for a ride it set us back $10.  This was outrageous to me.  Maybe I'm just not used to NY state fairs, but this would quickly get expensive for a larger family.  Unfortunately I found out too late that if the tickets were purchased before August 18,  a discount is given and you can get a sheet of 20 tickets for $8.  I guess this is a great lesson for next year.  So beware, fellow fair goers, you will have a very thin wallet by the time you leave the ride section.  But really, his face on this $3 circle was priceless.

There are a couple ways to still save, however!
Carnival Fun Day-this is today, August 20, 2013, and you can ride all the rides for $20 from noon to 11pm.
Children's Day-go to the fair on Thursday and kid's high school aged and under get in for free and rides are one less ticket per go.  
Family Fun Day-go on Sunday and you can enjoy all the rides for $20 from noon to 9pm. 

*I am not certain if this is per child, or per family, so I would ask the ticket booth attendant. 
 

 The highlight of the fair for us was all the animals, especially these little ducks which you are able to hold. 


There were also tons of cows, horses, chickens, roosters, sheep, more pigs and some I'm sure I missed.  My son was delighted over the animals. Next up, was the tractors.




This last one was especially exciting for my guy since it was an Army truck brought by the National Guard.  My husband is leaving for basic training with the Guard soon, so my son has become obsessed with all things Army!

Now for the food.  As any gluten-free-ers know, going to a fair is a little depressing.  Seeing everyone enjoying those corn dogs, like my husband here:

 
And the fried dough! What would I give for some fried dough.  But there was a french-fry-heating-light at the end of the tunnel.  After searching and praying and hoping, I found a stand with gluten free fries!  Full disclosure, as far as I could tell, they were all set.  I am very sensitive and I had them no problem.  I asked, and they are exclusively french fries, made from fresh cut potatoes and nothing else goes in the fryer.  (There was no official "gluten free" sign).  Skip the malt vinegar, of course, and I wouldn't trust the cheese sauce, but boy oh boy were they delicious.  Look for this cart if you are looking for them:


For all you non-gluten-free-ers, there is so much to enjoy in the food department.  Seriously, I am eternally envious.  My guy loved the cotton candy and indulged in his first chocolate milkshake.  

By the time we left, this was pretty much the face on my sugar crazed kid:
 

Are you planning a trip to the fair? What's your favorite part?



Post a Comment

© Chronicles of a Knaptime Knitter. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.
01 09 10