Friday, January 29, 2016

DIY Peanut Butter


Recently, I was on Pinterest (as I usually am) and came across some homemade peanut butter recipes. For some reason, it had never occurred to me making it wouldn't be that hard.  I don't know why I thought I would need a ton of ingredients and special machinery.  Because guess what?  It takes very little to make this, and it comes out so delicious!

You can alter yours to your liking, but here we like mostly smooth with a bit of honey.  Here's what I did to achieve that:







I used Planter's peanuts that I found at BJ's on sale.  I have also done this with dry roasted and honey roasted and its come out yummy each time.  How smooth it comes out really depends on you. I add a tbsp of oil to mine for extra creaminess. 

Step 1: Add 1 1/2 cups of peanuts to your food processor, and drizzle the oil over it.  You can skip the oil if you want it crunchier.

Step 2: For my processor that only had two settings, I alternated between them for blending.  First, grind for a couple minutes.  Then chop for a couple minutes.  You'll see it start to do melt down into the peanut butter and it's actually pretty neat to watch.


Step 3: Once it's roughly chopped, add a tbsp of honey. I used a raw local honey because we prefer the taste and texture.  Again, if you don't want a honey kind, just omit this step.  Continue alternating between blending and chopping and it will continue to "butter" the peanuts.

*omitting the honey and oil may mean you have to blend it a little longer.



If you can believe it, that's all there is to it!  To fill this wide mouth mason jar, I did these steps twice.  So one round of the 1 1/2 cups of peanuts, put that aside, and do it again with another 1 1/2 cups. Then take the two batches and blend them together.

If you have a larger or more heavy duty food processor, you could likely just do it all at once, but I found my poor machine was getting a little overworked.  It was getting a bit hot headed, so out of fear of overloading it, I did it in two batches.

I have found this keeps best in the fridge.  My kids have been eating this like crazy.  On sandwiches, with apples as a yummy snack, on it's own by the spoonfull.

I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!  If you find it isn't getting as smooth as you want (this happened my first batch), keep going with the chopping and grinding.  I thought it had the best consistency when the bit of oil was added.

Have fun, and please let me know if you find any yummy additions to include!

_________________________________________________________________________________

Want to see more DIY ideas and hang with us some more? Follow @KnaptimeKnitter on Instagram and email subscribe to the blog! (emails will only be sent when new posts are added). 

Post a Comment

© Chronicles of a Knaptime Knitter. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.
01 09 10