Thursday, February 6, 2014

Your Pins Tested! Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins


 I am not a baker.  I never was good at it, and being gluten free makes it that much harder.  But recently, I have invested more time in learning and trying out recipes.  Muffins are a challenge with gluten free because they often don't have the texture we crave from "normal" muffins and dry out very quickly.  I found this recipe from this Pin and decided to give it a go.


*I see a lot of recipes that call for multiple flours, or more pricey ingredients, and though I imagine they are a delight to eat, they aren't in my grocery budget, so I liked that this recipe had ingredients I am likely to already have.

The original recipe can be found here, and I have copied it directly from them.

What you'll need: 
2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
3/4 cup sugar 
2 teaspoons baking powder 
1 teaspoon xanthan gum 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled 
1/2 cup whole milk (I used 2%) 
2 large eggs 
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (I used about a tbsp of lemon juice instead) 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
1 1/2 cups Driscoll's Blueberries   

What to do:

  1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly butter or grease a 12-cup muffin pan or line with paper liners.
  2. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt in a medium bowl until blended. Whisk together butter, milk, eggs, lemon zest and vanilla in a large bowl until combined. Stir in flour mixture until partially moistened. Fold in blueberries until evenly mixed. Batter will be thick, do not over stir.
  3. Divide batter evenly between muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full.
  4. Bake 10 minutes. Rotate pan and continue to bake about 10 minutes longer or until muffins are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 3 minutes. Serve warm or remove to wire rack to cool completely.
I am on a limited carb diet for gestational diabetes, so I liked that this recipe included nutritional information.  In case you are following a similar diet, there are 31.41g of carbs in a muffin.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These came out really nice, and they actually looked good which is hard to do with gluten free.  Well, it's a challenge for me, maybe not so much for other people!  One way to keep them from drying out super quick is to let them cool, and put them in freezer bags to toss in the freezer.  When you want one, just pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds or so and they will be delicious and keep better. One thing you don't want to do is waste anything gluten free, because it's just too expensive!

Post a Comment

© Chronicles of a Knaptime Knitter. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.
01 09 10