Monday, June 9, 2014

Trash to Treasure: DIY Garden Space

It's that wonderful time of year where we de-clutter like crazy here at our house! We've been sorting, tossing, donating, and boy does it feel good to clear some space. One place I haven't given much time lately (or ever) is my basement. It's wet, its creepy, I don't like it. Save for laundry days, I don't go down there much.  But as I started tossing things out, I finally asked my husband to get these rusty old shelves out of a corner down there. They have been there for who knows how long, way before we lived here.



 Instead of tossing it, I took about a half hour and cleaned it up for use as a garden area storage solution.  I hosed it down, scrubbed off a little of the rust and just spray painted it with gold spray paint I found at AC Moore.  I ran out of spray paint and plan on giving it another coat at some point, but I loved the way it turned out!



I am not much of a gardener, as much as I wish I was.  I don't have the patience for weeding and it gets really humid here in upstate NY during the summer, so I like to spend as little time as possible pulling up weeds.  I have failed at gardening many times, but I won't let that stop me from trying again! This year, with a new baby and an eager 3 year old, I decided to take the easy road and head on over to Wal-Mart and grab some pre-planted veggie plants. I started very small, cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers.  We'll see how they go and possibly add some more.  But for now, I'm happy with our tiny garden, and our little garden space!

No comments:

Post a Comment