Monday, February 3, 2014

This Week's Meal Plan





My meal plans have gotten more difficult, as I have gotten the much unwanted gestational diabetes diagnosis. "Nooooooo!" was my first reaction, but it really hasn't been too bad, and it's forcing me to look at what I'm eating and choose wisely. Meals and food, however, have gotten more limited for me and that can be a challenge.  My husband has also returned from a 4 1/2 month period of being away with training for the Army, so he is influencing the meal plan as well.

So here is my plan for the week, and I am hoping that with him going back to his "normal" (he's a reporter, there is no real normal) work schedule, I can stick to my plan!  The best part: I have most of what I need for this week's plan in my freezer or pantry.

MONDAY: 
Crock Pot Cream Cheese Chicken-Last time I made these yummy rice bowls, I froze half and tossed it my freezer.  Boy am I happy I did, because this delicious meal will be suitable for my new diabetes diet, and keep my husband and three year old happy.

TUESDAY:
Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup-Admittedly, this meal feels like I'm cheating, since I have no intention of making the soup (maybe when I'm not 32 weeks pregnant, battling a sinus infection), but it's my husband's favorite.  For the gluten-free version, I love Amy's gluten free tomato bisque and will make a loaf of my gf bread to go with it. 

WEDNESDAY:
For my new recipe of the week, I am going to try this one found on Pinterest, for Garlic Chicken. I'll let you know how it turns out!  Depending on what I have handy in the house, I'll do a veggie and potato or rice with it.

THURSDAY:
Turkey & Sweet Potato Sheppard's Pie-Another one of my husband's favorites and a staple in our house, this is so easy to make and delicious. It also makes for great leftovers, with the hubs returning to work.  I'll post the official recipe when I make it this week, but basically, substitute ground turkey for the beef and mashed sweet potatoes for the mashed potatoes and you've got yourself a healthier delightful version of this comfort food classic.  *I use this gravy packet (from Hannaford) and it's really good, and super quick if you don't feel like making your own


FRIDAY:
Breakfast for dinner! Pancakes from gluten free Bisquick, eggs, bacon, yum yum yum!  And since the gluten free bread was baked earlier in the week, french toast is even a possibility.  I'll be looking forward to this meal all week.

SATURDAY:
Leftover day!

SUNDAY:
Spaghetti & Meatballs-I chose this for this week because I have some in my freezer that I had made and froze, but you can use either challenge yourself to a homemade sauce (sorry, friends, mine is a top secret family recipe my mother hasn't even gotten her hands on!), or use a jar.  It's Sunday, after all, this should be an easy meal.  For the meatballs, I use a mix of ground turkey, gluten free bread crumbs, an egg, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese and a little minced garlic.  Heat some olive oil (or use whatever you have) in a pan and brown them on medium and brown them on the outside and then bake to finish.  If you're making homemade sauce, brown them and then toss them in the sauce as it simmers for the delicious hours and they'll be perfect by the time its ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment